Friday, September 9, 2011

Adventures with Anis et Marjolaine

We lived in St. Lazare, QC for 2 years. I think the food culture there was what really started to turn me into a hardcore foodie. One of the places that was a huge influence for me was a wonderful bistro called Anis et Marjolaine.
When we left Quebec and moved to Rhode Island, Alvaro and Ashley (the owners) delighted us with a visit. We pigged out on every kind of local seafood we could get our hands on, did all the touristy things (if you have not been to Block Island, RI - I highly recommend it).
So, how excited were we to find out they were going to come down to our new home in Roanoke, VA this summer to see us! Timing was not the greatest as they had planned on coming via NYC, but Irene had other ideas for them. After doing some other stops though, they made it to our place.
And we ate.
Most of what I know about cooking I learned from watching James Barber on CBC in my early 20s. I didn't even really start watching him because I wanted to know how to cook, but rather because I lived in the country and we only had 3 channels so my viewing choices were limited, and I was very bored. But, once I decided I liked cooking and liked food - there was no stopping me. So, to be able to work so close to a real chef - and one whose cooking I so enjoyed while we lived down the street from his bistro - oh my!!!
We started our cooking their first morning. I opened our freezer to have a look at what meat we could have for supper and found two HUGE bones that were labeled Osso Bucco. Now, traditional Osso Bucco has the bones cut to much smaller size, and we realized this could be a problem. Our bones were more like half of a cow leg!
Alvaro was sure this would not be a problem (I was ready to just give up) and that we would be able to figure out how to get the bone cut. We discussed taking it to a store here to see if they would do it, but I have not established a good enough relationship with any of the butchers (read: I don't know any of them at all) here to ask them for help with a cut of meat that I was not buying from them.

Next, Alvaro asks if we have a saw - any old saw. I was not sure so I texted my husband at work with the question "do we have a saw?". Sure enough, minutes after I sent the text I found a saw so texted him back with "never mind". We then decided to be punchy and send him another text saying "Do we have any duct tape?" Followed again by "Never mind". We were just about to text him "Do we have any duffel bags?" when he called all in a tizzy asking us what the heck we were doing. Laughed until my tummy hurt I tell you!
Alvaro and Ashley really took one for the team and sawed their way through the bone making our meat the right size (soooooo grateful for that!)


Then it was off to the market to get our ingredients. I could say every single day how lucky and grateful I am that we can buy our ingredients this way????
Home to start the cooking! Chop, chop, chop



And the kitchen started to smell like.....


um.....


OSSO BUCCO!!! Oh I wish my kitchen always smelled like that.

Not to be outdone, Jenna had to make her ma naan ma naan bread to go with dinner:



 And after a few hours, lots of laughs and a huge learning curve for me - supper was ready



Yep, we eat like this ever day....



I wish!!!!! A huge thank you to Alvaro and Ashley for all their hard work in the kitchen. I learned so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment